You see them a lot on Pinterest and on plenty of DIY sites. The results look unmistakably beautiful, and the cost is relatively cheap. If you wanted beautiful floors for cheap, it is certainly tempting to try. But is it worth it? We’re talking about using wooden pallet flooring.
Before you attempt it, it’s best to get an idea of what installing wooden pallet flooring will entail. Despite how it looks, it’s not a project for a DIY beginner to take on and might even frustrate an experienced crafter. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each.
The Cons of Wooden Pallet Flooring
- It will take a long time to collect all the pallets you’ll need for your home. One pallet will typically cover about 2.5 square feet of flooring. If you’re just collecting a few pallets here and there, it will take you a long time to gather all the wooden pallets you’ll need.
- The process is long. After gathering enough wooden pallets, you’ll need to strip the planks, remove any nails from the boards, and sand each of them. You will have to cut them down to size too, so you have a nice and even flooring. This might take you months, if you’re just doing this in your spare time.
- You can’t use just any old pallet. Some pallets with the MB stamp (methyl bromide) have been treated with pesticide. Some may contain fungus or pests, particularly if they have been left somewhere damp and stored for a long time. You will need to be careful about selecting and cleaning the pallets.
The Pros of Wooden Pallet Flooring
- Wooden pallet flooring doesn’t cost much. You can usually get wooden pallets at inexpensive prices. Or if you know where to look, you can even get them for free. The only real costs you need to consider are the tools you need to buy/hire, the underlayment, and possibly labor costs if you need help in installing these.
- Wood flooring has a beautiful classic look. Wood pallet floors are timeless and have a rich look. They lend warmth and elegance to homes. They also tend to match most interior decor, whether you’re going for modern, rustic, or sophisticated.
- It is durable. While pine and other types of softwood pallets may be more prone to scratches or dents than hardwood pallets, they’ll just get more durable the longer you use them. However, if you’re looking for something that can really hold up to high floor traffic, go for hardwoods instead.
- It’s easy to maintain. The more foot traffic an area receives, the more scuffs it may get, but this is true for all wood floors. Even with regular floor activity, your pallet floors should keep for a long time. You can help keep them as pristine as possible by finishing the planks using a high-quality product. And if you ever do need to replace a plank, you can easily find replacement materials.
- It reduces landfill waste. A lot of shipping pallets turn up in landfills every year. By recycling these pallets into floors, you can help reduce waste. Plus, you get one-of-a-kind floors with lots of character.
Are pallet floors worth it?
Yes! If you don’t mind putting in a bit of time and effort, wooden pallet flooring can be one of the best investments for your home.
We have the pallets that you need.
Why search around for pallets when you can source them all from one place? Contact us at (303) 660-0084 and we’ll help you meet your pallet needs today.